Thursday, April 14, 2011

Making a Difference


I am quite certain that the majority of you believe that all of us are here for a reason and that we all have moments in the world.  Some say that we all live to serve. Now, you may or may not agree to this but hear me out.

It’s very saddening to turn on the television and witness that most of the news program talks either about a war in the Middle East or a natural disaster in Japan etc.  With all the world crisis and natural disaster happened recently, what are we doing to reach out?  If some say our destiny is to help others then does this mean helping others fulfill your/our own destiny?  What is your/our destiny? 

I do not know if this is correct, but I do know the feeling I get when I help someone and see their facial reaction, thinking to myself that, “I did that!” that I made that difference.  I get a sense of fulfillment; happiness and I feel a sense of purpose.  This might as well serves as a proof that helping others is my destiny.  Nevertheless, I do know that it is enough of a reason to try to help someone when I get the chance.  It doesn’t matter whether it’s a simple opening the door for an elderly or serving your country.   A grand or smaller scale, helping is not defined on how much, in my humble opinion.

Each of us are gifted, we all have our sets of skills and abilities that are unique from the person next to you.  With these abilities, we can make noteworthy things happen in the world around us, or not.  It is completely up to us whether we want our lives to make a difference and what difference we want our lives to make.  Many people set lofty goals for their lives and want to be remembered as visionaries, they want to change and save the world.  Others want to be remembered as the kind man or women down the street who always helped and always listened if you needed help.  Who do you think is the better person?  The one who changes the world or the one who saves the individual?  As I said earlier, we can’t really measure which one did more good because in my eyes, both scenario is equally spectacular.  To make a difference and be remembered you do not have to do incredible things, just being there for the people around you can save someone from a meaningless life and help them lead the life they were meant to live.

I always have a knack for listening to others, well at least that’s what my friends told me.  Whether it is a relationship or personal problems, I always have an open mind and will tell them what I think.    Listening to other people’s problems without passing judgment is one of the kindest things we can do.  Often times our closest friends come to us with their problems.  However, do not think for a moment that they are asking us what to do.  Majority of the time they come to us seeking our support and someone that will listen.   Most people know the answers to the problems they are facing; they just wanted to hear the approval of their closest friend.  By listening and letting them talk through their problems on their own, you help them realize what they should do.  Sometimes they might need encouragement and help to start on this new path, which is something I, usually, always can give. 

In reality we might as well be here to help each other, we might as well be a part of something that promotes cooperation, or simply we’re not. We might just be here to make the best of the situation for our own personal gain.  In any case, helping others brings happiness and well being into your own life, however we chose to help other people always keep in mind that it will always benefit us somehow.
 
 

2 comments:

AzhianBarbie said...

i love the fact that you are writing to encourage people to help in their own ways.. this is such a great post.. i love it! 2 thumbs up! :)

Anonymous said...

very well written, i must say. helping is indeed healthy for the soul. :)