Friday, April 1, 2011

Women and Social Media/Network

Do women spend more time in the social media? 


I believed that women are very engaged, and have played a vital role in shaping the social media network as a whole.  Just look at your facebook, twitter, and blog accounts for example; women would tend to share more than men do.  I was looking at my facebook news feed, at least 75% of the updates comes from women.  This means sharing videos, links, images, and any other content they find interesting.  I am not saying that it is a bad thing, not at all. 


Men play the role of the responder.  Women will post and men, I'd say 70% of the time would respond first.  I have quite a few women friends and from my experience, I can say that they are all very engaged in terms of social media.  We will be out for some appetizers and they would be constantly checking their gadgets, whether uploading or checking status updates. They can be engaged in a live conversation while playing with their gadget(s) at the same time.  Multi-tasking much??...But that's not how I really would define or use the word.  I guess this is part of the evolution and the century we currently live in, where as it is ruled by modern technology. 


Does this actually give women an advantage? Let us say from work, in a marketing business stand point.  You would think that since women are more occupied with social technology that they would have a bit more of an advantage in this field.  In my class for example, where we do many visual communications.  One can assume that the skill of sharing photos on facebook, sharing a link on twitter would be considered more in demand.  By all accounts, I think this was the wrong assumption because the top five students were male.

In my opinion, women rule the social media.  Many women will seek advice and recommendation through social networking.  Whether its for entertainment, food and health, fashion and beauty products.  Even with this much involvement in the social media, women are always been criticized on being behind on technological advancement.  An article I read said that women in general are insecure.  Could this be that women now find themselves described as insecure simply for finding a social media/network at which they stand out and in which they prosper?   Alternatively, am I just ranting on the subject without any hard proof and just simply constructing it on my own personal experience?  Perhaps.   I simply don't know.  That is the question I will leave for you to decide.


Feel free to leave me a comment :)

No comments: